Friday, August 04, 2006

You can't make this stuff up

So I know I said that was my last post before surgery, but I've got to add another. It's my last day at work today before surgery. Many people are wishing me good luck and telling me that I'm going to be fine, etc. Suddenly, one of the guys that I've known for several years walks into my office, sticks out his hand, and says "Goodbye Rog. It's been great working with you." Needless to say, I was a bit thunderstruck. What does he know that I don't? Is he the only one around here telling it like it is? After a short and very strange interval I shook his hand and said "Bye Rich. I do actually hope to be back in October." "Oh, OK" he said, and left my office. I sat there, feeling not a little crushed.

After about ten seconds, he poked his head around the door. "You did know that today was my last day, didn't you?" My heart leapt for joy in my chest. "No, really, oh good luck, congratulations" I burbled, not knowing if he was going to a new job, laid off, going to jail, anything. I was just so relieved that he hadn't written me off. As one of my colleagues said, you can't make this stuff up.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roger
you are truly The Man
my inspiration
you have reinforced my conviction that I/we need to be grateful for everything we have, and that every day is a good day!
With you all the way
All the best
Lorenzo

 
At 8:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Auntie Vera wishes you lots of luck and to say that she's thinking of you. With her broken wrist she finds it difficult to write but between Robin and I she's getting all the blog news. She will send you a card after your op. All the best from all of us. xxxxxxxxx

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Roger,

Too funny...

This is in response to the email you sent all of us at Instron last week.

Yes, you will be back amongst us here at Instron before we realize that you're not here. I truly believe that, and I know that you do too.

So what I really want to know is... when can be come visit and bother you??? You better have a speedy recovery, as I need someone else around here that takes more vacations than I do. I'll be getting a lot of grief while you're out.

We will all hold down the fort while you are recovering. Thank you for the vote of confidence.

Seriously, I wish you the best with your surgery. I have no doubt that you are in excellent hands and that you will come through this with flying colors. Please tell Kathy to keep us updated and let me know if I can help in any way. (Any way short of getting you a flat screen TV, not that you don't deserve one ;)

Best of luck on Tuesday. We will all be thinking of you.

Cathy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home